The Coder School Berkeley
Our camps are staffed with a ratio of about 6:1, with our regular year-round Code Coaches® who have lots of experience teaching kids throughout the year. We also recognize that summer camp is a time for fun! So while we'll do lots of on-computer learning, we'll also take plenty of breaks, get some physical motion by heading outside frequently (weather permitting), and even do some cool offline coding exercises!
- All camps are 9 am to 3 pm at our super cool Coder School Berkeley location
- After Care is available from 3 pm to 6 pm for an additional $150 per week per student. You will receive a link in your confirmation email to register for After Care for the requested week of camp
- Be sure to check skill and age requirements for each camp, as different topics are taught at different levels
- All kids should bring their own water bottle and lunch daily (except Friday), as they will be escorted to Live Oak Park for lunch
- Each day will include 1 hour of fun, outdoor games with El Cerrito-based X-Fit Training at nearby Live Oak Park. We're happy to be partnering with X-Fit to promote an active and healthy lifestyle for all our campers.
- Kids code throughout the week and get an awesome (included) lunch on Friday, then demo their week's creations later that afternoon
Games Are Awesome (Ages 8-10): We'll be using cool drag n' drop languages like Scratch to create some awesome new and classic games! Aimed at our newbie and novice coders. Content will be different in Session A and Session B.
Coding's a Snap! (Ages 10+): We'll use Snap! (developed at UC Berkeley as a tool for teaching both kids and adults) to introduce curious tweeners to the world of coding through the use of animation, music and games! For our newbie and novice coders only.
Girls Are Awesome (Ages 8-10): We re-invent our Games Are Awesome camp, but for girls only this week! Girls will use Scratch or Snap! to explore coding in a fun, supportive & friendly environment. Aimed at newbie and novice coders.
Python Startup (Ages 10+): We don't have a pet snake for our schools, so we'll settle for introducing you to Python, one of the most popular coding languages today. Start slowly or code fast, this camp is for our intermediate coders, no Python experience necessary!
Pi Jam (Ages 10+): Jam to the coolest credit card sized gadget, the Raspberry Pi3. Explore cool stuff you can do with a tiny computer, which (depending on the instructor) may include controlling physical stuff like light sensors, Python with Minecraft or other fun stuff! Intermediate coders only, please.
Rise of the Machines (Ages 10+): Artificial Intelligence (AI) is one of the hottest buzzwords today, and we're ready to help you tackle it. What is AI? Why is it taking over the world? When will the Terminator come back and take down John Connor?? We'll talk about AI use cases, dive into some fundamental algorithms and create some basic AI apps.
Make It Go With Robots (Ages 10+): The field of robotics is growing faster than ever, appearing everywhere from our homes to video games to drones. Learn to build and program a variety of small robots through hands-on projects that will culminate in a demo at the end of the week.
Mobile Madness (Ages 10+): From the day Steve Jobs introduced the iPhone in 2007, smart phones have been slowly taking over all of our worlds. Our Mobile Madness camp gets our intermediate coders introduced to the world of mobile app development by coding mobile apps loaded on an Android-based mobile phone. Each student will receive a basic Android phone that they can keep.
Visit our website to see our summer camp schedule and to enroll today! For a limited time, we're offering an early-bird discount of $100 off a week of camp! Use the code CAMPSROCK at checkout.
Cancellation policy:Camp may be cancelled up to 30 days prior to the first day of start of camp for a full refund. Cancellations made up to 14 days prior are eligible for a 50% refund.
Minimum Age 7
Maximum Age 15
Camp Dates June 10-14: Games Are Awesome A or WebRox June 17-21: Games Are Awesome B or Python Startup June 24-28:Coding’s a Snap or Pi Jam July 1-5 (excl 4th): Games Are Awesome A or WebRox (4 day) July 8-12: Games Are Awesome B or Python Startup July 15-19: Games Are Awesome A or Mobile Madness July 22-26: Python Startup or Rise of the Machines July 29-Aug 2: Girls Are Awesome or Pi Jam Aug 5-9: WebRox or Make It Go with Robots Aug 12-16: Games Are Awesome B or Python Startup Aug 19-23: Games Are Awesome A or WebRox
Camp Cities Berkeley
Year Established 2017
Camp Capacity 12
Camp Length 9 am to 3 pm Monday through Friday, optional after care until 6 pm
Cost Per Week Starting at $499 with $100 Early-Bird Discount, use code CAMPSROCK until 1/31/19
Financial Aid Offered No
2093 Rose Street
Berkeley, California 94709
The Coder School Berkeley is located at 2093 Rose Street (between Shattuck & Henry, across from Safeway, at the north end of Gourmet Ghetto)
- Code Coaching™ - The core of what we do and the best way to learn to code is our semi-private lesson program called Code Coaching™. With two students to one instructor, each student gets the attention he or she needs to really dig deep and learn real coding constructs. At the same time, two kids of a similar level and age play off each other and show off to each other for a more social experience. Code Coaching™ is a perfect way to learn to code with a friend, or to come in and meet someone new! Code Coaching™ is a one hour weekly session.
- Code Class - We also provide an entry level program for those wanting to start slowly. Code Class is our traditional curriculum-based offering, . These classes generally teach by breaking down a game into component parts, and having kids build and understand them (and embellish them) as they go. Classes are one hour per week, offered at various times throughout the week.
- Code Class @School - Our Code Class @School program is designed to get novice coders aged 7-10 started in coding with the convenience of your school location. Each class meets one hour weekly after school in a classroom you designate. Our curriculum closely mimics our own proven Code Classes at our locations, and is taught by our experienced Code Coaches®. All our coaches are background checked with hands-on, direct Computer Science experience, so are able to debug and demystify coding for even the most newbie coder.